I have been an active member of Needham’s town government and community organizations for many years. I have significant experience in developing policies and legislation that have improved the town, in both local and regional settings. Along with my colleagues, I have actively helped to build a well-functioning and effective Select Board that presides over one of the very best administered town governments in our Commonwealth.
Government Service – Elected Positions
- Four-Term member and three-time Chair of the Needham Select Board
- Member and past Chair of the Needham Planning Board for almost 13 years
- Town Meeting Member since 1995
Government Service – Appointments and Committees
- Needham’s representative to the Metropolitan Area Planning Commission (MAPC), the official regional planning body for the 101 cities and towns comprising Greater Boston.
- Negotiated for Needham to gain a seat in the MAPC’s Inner Core (within 128) sub-region, where many decisions bearing on Needham’s economic and transportation interests are discussed
- Elected member of the Executive Committee of the MAPC
- Represents the MAPC as a member of the MWRA Advisory Board, which effectively gives Needham two representatives who serve on that body
- Member of the Executive Committee of the MA Water Resources Authority (MWRA) Advisory Board
- Member of the N-Squared (N2) Steering Committee which has successfully promoted the re-development of the Needham’s portion (“Needham Crossing”) of the N-Squared Innovation District that we share with Newton. (see: http://www.n2innovationdistrict.com/about/steering-committee)
- Member of the Downtown Design Partnership, which developed design standards for the Downtown in 1995 and which are still in use.
- Member of the Downtown Streetscapes Committee, which planned the improvements to Needham’s downtown that are now being constructed. These include significant improvements to pedestrian and bike access and safety, and better traffic management and calming measures.
- Member of the Council of Economic Advisors (previously Economic Advisory Council), which advises the Select Board on economic development in the Town’s business districts
- Past Member, Future Search Committee for the Needham Schools
- Active Member of the Norfolk County Medical Reserve Corps. I have been staffing several vaccine clinics in Needham and delivering PPE equipment and supplies to surrounding communities.
- Member of the North Hill Board of Trustees and its Governance (Executive) Committee, and the newly formed Committee on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at North Hill.
- Past Member of the Board of Needham Cares which provided hurricane relief to Mississippi Coastal Communities after Hurricane Katrina
- Active member, past Board member, and past President of the Needham Exchange Club for more than 20 years. Recipient of the Exchangite Extraordinary Award.
- Member, Board member, and past President of the Needham History Center & Museum (formerly the Needham Historical Society).
- Long-standing board member of the Needham Heights Neighborhood Association Board of Directors.
- Co-Founder of Citizens for the Preservation of Town Hall, a Founding Member of the Great Hall Performance Foundation, and a Partnership Sponsor of the Great Hall Concert Series.
- Dancer in three “Dancing with the Needham Stars,” raising funds in 2011 for the Tercentennial celebrations; in 2017 for the Needham History Center & Museum’s centennial, and the for Needham Exchange and Women’s Clubs in 2019.
- With my wife, Elizabeth, took over the management of A Book from Mom. A Book from Mom was founded by my daughter Jane when she was in the 8th grade at Pollard, and my wife and I took on the “heavy lifting” when Jane left for college in 2008. A Book from Mom has given around 40,000 new books to incarcerated women at MCI Framingham, and has expanded to include some incarcerated dads in Suffolk and Norfolk County jails as well. The program encourages literacy and family relationships by providing new books to be shared and sent home with children during visits.
- Helped to acquire the site for the new Sunita Williams School thus preserving Cricket Field.
- Active proponent of the successful merger of the Needham Business Association with Newton-Needham Chamber of Commerce
- Member of the Senior Center Site Selection Committee that selected the Center at the Heights Location. I was instrumental in identifying a site that all of the communities of interest could support.
- Member of the team that negotiated the Sister City Relationship with Daxing, China
- Was instrumental in negotiating a compromise at Town Meeting with the opponents and supporters of the Needham Farmers’ Market that resulted in the necessary 2/3rds vote to amend the Needham Zoning By-Law to allow for the Farmers’ Market to be established in the Downtown.
- Superintendent’s Service Award, 2005-2006
- Needham Historical Commission, Ray Bosworth Preservation Award, 2007
- Needham Exchange Club, Exchangite Extraordinary, 2009
- Needham Exchange Club, Harold Wilkinson Award, 2005
- 2nd Annual People of the Year Award (Community Newspapers), 1999